Overseas Visitors Health Cover
Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) is health insurance for international visitors wishing to travel or work in Australia.
OVHC helps you cover the cost of:
- medical treatment when you’re in hospital
- emergency ambulance transport
- medical costs to get you back home
- some prescription medicines (for Visitors Plus members only)
- medical services provided by a doctor or specialist out of hospital (for Visitors Plus members only).
It also helps you to meet your visa health insurance condition 8501.
Unless you’re an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident, you will not be eligible for Medicare (the public health insurance system for Australian residents). Without access to Medicare, paying for medical treatment can be expensive (up to $1500 per day). Some streams of Australian temporary visas may require you to take out this insurance (talk to your immigration consultant and visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for more information).
For information on your OVHC policy, please contact them directly.