Overseas visitors are not eligible for Medicare (the public health system in Australia). Without access to Medicare, medical treatments can be very expensive. In most cases, hospital treatment will cost more than $1,000 a day.
If you are from overseas and are visiting Australia on a temporary resident visa, it is a mandatory requirement to have Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC).
You can get 2 different types of OVHC through our partner, Allianz Global Assistance:
- Budget Visitors - this covers you for in hospital services, pharmacy, prostheses, ambulance and medical repatriation.
- Visitors Plus - this covers you for out of hospital services, in hospital services, pharmacy, prostheses, ambulance and medical repatriation.
For more info on these types of OVHC, click here.
Your OVHC Policy
Your OVHC Policy is administered by our business partner, Allianz Global Assistance. The policy can be either:
- Single - covering only the overseas visitors
- Dual Family - covering the overseas visitor and either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, or one or more children or step-children under the age of 18 who are not married; or
- Multi Family - covering the overseas visitor and more than one dependant, which can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner and one or more dependent children.
For information on your OVHC policy, please contact them directly.
Phone: 1300 727 193
OVHC 24hr Helpline: 1800 814 781
From overseas: +61 7 3305 8833