How does football insurance work in Australia?

Question mark orange

We compare football insurance to private health cover.

Feel the football itch? Is it the warm weather or the coverage of the A-League and elite competitions around Europe that has you going?

No matter why, the rise of small-sided summer competitions allows you to play year-round.

But more football could mean a greater chance of injury. Have you ever wondered what happens if you or your child gets injured playing football?

You might be aware that your player registration with Football Federation Australia includes Personal Accident insurance. 

But does that mean you don’t need Private Health Insurance?

Well, not exactly. They can work together in some cases. Below we explain the benefits the included Personal Accident insurance provides. Just be aware that NSW has a separate, more generous, Personal Accident insurance policy, so make a note of the differences below.


Personal Accident insurance has generous benefits for physio, chiro and dental services and can also include other benefits such as private hospital accommodation, ambulance and loss of income.

In NSW, a successful claim pays 100% for physio, chiro and dental after any reimbursement from your health fund up to certain limits (view limits here) or requires you to pay a $50 excess if you don’t have private extras cover. Therefore having private extras cover could save you money.

In Vic, Qld, WA, Tas, ACT & NT, a successful claim pays 85% for physio, chiro and dental after any reinmbursement from your health fund up to certain limits with a $50 excess for each claim.

That $50 excess for each claim could really eat into your pockets though, especially those frequent visits like physio and chiro. 

Private Extras cover, on the other hand, can provide benefits towards things like physio, chiro and dental whether your injury is football-related or not. And claiming is usually as simple as swiping your health fund card. Benefits can vary, so check your cover, the benefits and the limits.


If you don’t have Private Hospital cover and you go to hospital as a private patient for elective surgery (like an ACL repair or a knee reconstruction for instance) with your Personal Accident insurance, you may be able to claim some private hospital accommodation and other related expenses (subject to the terms of the relevant policy), but will likely have large out-of-pocket expenses. 

This is because, under Federal law, Personal Accident insurance can’t cover doctor, surgeon and anaesthetist fees, or any other Medicare items. 

That’s where Private Health Insurance hospital cover like Peoplecare’s* comes in handy, providing cover for costly medical specialist fees such as doctors, surgeons and anaesthetists.

So what to do?

In short, both your Personal Accident insurance and Private Health Insurance can be used together to reduce your costs if injury strikes. 

  • Extras: On balance, Personal Accident insurance does better to reduce your out-of-pocket costs for extras claims in NSW if you already also have Extras cover. Outside NSW, the $50 exccess per claim could be more costly than simply using Extras cover for frequent, lower cost services like physio and chiro. You might consider using Personal Accident insurance for something like dental though, where paying a $50 excess might end up saving you money. Another thing overall: Private Health Insurance is usually easier to claim and comes with fewer strings attached.
  • Hospital: Private Health Insurance does better to reduce your out-of-pocket costs for private elective surgeries, as long as you’ve served your waiting periods.

DISCLAIMER: This article is general advice only and you should obtain detailed information on the Personal Accident insurance and Private Health Insurance before acting on it.


*Pre-existing conditions have a 12-month waiting period. Other waiting periods apply. See here for details.

Need a hand?

Our Peoplecarers are never far away