The Australian Government offers people a rebate to help with the cost of private health insurance premiums.
There are a few things to know about the Government Rebate:
- It’s income tested
- It’s only applied to the standard cost of your cover
- If you have a Lifetime Health Cover loading, the Rebate isn’t applied to that portion of your payments
- The Rebate you get is based on the age of the oldest person of your membership and your taxable household income (for Medicare Levy Surcharge purposes)
- It’s up to you to let us know your Rebate Tier. But don’t worry – if you don’t tell us (or choose the wrong one) the ATO will work out any difference when you do your tax
- If you aren’t sure which Tier to choose, head to privatehealth.gov.au or ask your tax agent, financial advisor or the ATO
- You don’t have to take the Rebate as a reduced premium, you can pay the full cost of your health cover and claim any Rebate back at tax time
Work out your Rebate Tier
Step 1: Income Threshold
|Step 2: Age & rebate amount
Age of the oldest person on your cover
|Medicare Levy Surcharge
(This will only apply if you don't have private hospital cover)
|Under 65 years||65-69 years||70+ years|
*If you're a family with children, the income threshold for each tier is increased by $1,500 for every child after your first.
Family includes single parent families.