Visit your GP
You need a referral from your GP to see a specialist doctor (like a surgeon for instance) to kick off the whole planned procedure process.
Your GP should talk to you about whether a certain procedure is a good option for you. Procedure success rates, patient health benefits and health risks matter. That’s why it’s good to get this impartial advice.
Here are a few questions you might want to ask your GP:
- Do I need further treatment?
- What are my treatment options?
- Do I need any tests? If so, how much will I pay?
- What is the referral process? Is there more than one specialist I can see?
- Once you’re happy to continue, your GP will refer you to a specialist. You could even ask your GP for an ‘Open Referral’ to make it easier for you to take your specialist referral anywhere.