Check out of hospital & recover
Grab your discharge plan
Before you leave hospital, make sure you take your discharge plan and discharge summary and remember to take a copy to your follow up appointments.
Pay for any extra services you used
If you added Wi-Fi, newspapers or TV to your account, pay the bill when you leave hospital.
Collect medications from the hospital pharmacy
When you get discharged, you might get prescriptions for medications to take home with you. You can get these on your way out at the hospital pharmacy or at a pharmacy of your choice. While you won’t be able to claim these medications on your hospital cover, you may be able to claim prescription medication on your Peoplecare extras cover.
- Follow your specialist’s instructions closely
- Attend all your follow-up appointments
- Take care of your personal hygiene such as washing your hands
- Check your wounds for signs of infection
- Maintain a good diet & stay hydrated
- Move with care to avoid falls
Book your follow-up visits with your specialist & GP
Your discharge plan should say when you’re meant to see your specialist and GP again, but as a rule of thumb, you’ll normally see both around 6 weeks after hospital.